Resend Campaigns: Are They Worth It?

Are your email open rates lower than you’d like? There’re probably a lot of reasons why. Your subject line is not engaging enough, you are sending emails at the wrong time, or maybe you are attracting the wrong signups to your list. Or maybe your audience is distracted. They are too busy watching TV and checking their phone at the same time, so a lot of them missed the email. If that is the case, then your solution is simple. Start a resend campaign.

Do They Work?

There is been a lot of research into the effectiveness of resend campaigns, and overall, they seem to bring results. One Forbes contributor decided to test out a resend campaign with their audience & saw an immediate increase in overall reach by 54.7%. Their follow up emails never performed as well as the first. However; overall the effort was worth Green Screen Academy .

The follow up email did not make waves, but it provided them with over 50% more leads seeing their emails. That made all the difference.

Reasons to Resend

Research has shown that only 18% of promotional emails are opened. That leaves a whopping 82% of your email list out of your reach.

Developing open rates is a major reason to use a resend campaign, but it is far from the only benefit. You can use resend campaigns to:

1. A/B Test

Subject lines are a huge factor in determining if someone would open an email or not. According to Marketingsherpa, personalized email subject lines develop open rates for consumer products & services companies by 41.8 percent. That’s huge.

If you sent out an email and a lot of people didn’t open it, resend it to them with a new headline to see if it is more effective.

You can also change & A/B test other factors that affect open rates, such as the email address the mail was sent from, or the email text snippet that shows up in a lot of inboxes:

2. Improve Other Metrics

Getting people to open your emails is far from the ultimate aim of your marketing campaign. There’re other metrics you may want to improve that can help develop your bottom line, such as clickthrough rate / revenue. Research from Icubes has shown that resend campaigns could help in both these areas, with a potential revenue increase of 30% & CTR increase of 42%.

How to Do It

If it sounds like resend campaigns are a worthwhile venture for your marketing campaign, make sure you follow all the steps to do them right.

Here’re a few ground rules you should follow to ensure you get the most out of your resend campaign:

1. Only resend to subscribers who didn’t open

Do not make the mistake of sending your email to everyone. People who opened will most definitely be less than thrilled to see it again in their inbox. Use segmentation to make a special segment of people who did not open the email the first time. Then resend it to them alone.

2. Time it right

You should wait until you are sure most of your list has had an opportunity to see your first email before you resend. 24 hours could not be enough, so wait at least a few days.

You can think about changing the time of day you send out the second email. If you sent the first one out in the morning & had a poor open rate, you could A/B test by switching to afternoon.

3. Don’t spam your list

There’re a lot of benefits of resend campaigns, but that does not mean you should use this plan with every email. Some people did not open your email because they simply were not interested in the content. Spamming them with resends of each email might drive them to unsubscribe.

So select your resend campaigns carefully — select an email with a lot of potential for improvement. Keep an eye on your unsubscribe rate while you do this, to make sure subscribers are not getting annoyed by repeat emails.

Sign up for a free trial of Sendlane to start your email marketing plan today.

 

 

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

Shares